Breakups and exercise 💔

It’s an interesting topic… one which sparked some interesting debate on our Instagram page just recently. We’ve been thinking again and want to get your opinion! Does coming out of a breakup impact your exercise?

There’s some who believe that once you’re over the initial hurdle of sleepless nights and the tear-drenched pillows, a breakup can actually encourage you to get more active.

It’s thought that being in a relationship can oftentimes lead to complacency — staying in and ordering that takeout, rather than getting out and about and joining that fitness class you’d always meant to sign up for.

With that in mind, it’s highly possible that once you’re single and ready to mingle, you get back into those hobbies you were too preoccupied to get involved in while you were coupled up. Also, there’s thought that once you’re single again, and not within the comforts of a long-term relationship, that you start to think again about looking your very best for your next potential partner. This may well involve burning off (or sweatcoining off) some extra pounds…

A study carried out as part of The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study (YFS) found that physical activity is impacted by changes in relationships. The findings, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, found that men who had recently divorced registered fewer steps than other men, while women’s step count decreased when entering a new relationship or remarrying. Single ladies, however, saw an increase in steps (high five single ladies :raised_hands:)

So what do you think? Do you think that a breakup can lead to more exercise in the long run? Do you think that when you’re in a relationship, it’s easier to be less active?

We’re waiting to hear what your thoughts are!

I havent had a relationship so I can’t relate :see_no_evil: :grimacing: But I sure think a breakup can affect your daily routine and what you do. Even getting in a relationship can get you more or less motivated I think.